Thursday, March 10, 2011

"It Has to Happen Sometime"

-Hello?
-Hey Dad, it’s Matt.
-Hey! Great to hear from you. How are you doing? How’s school?
-Everything’s good. Grades are fine, classes are still fun.
-Sounds great. You’ve always made me proud, from making the little league all-star team right up to today.
-Thanks, Dad. That means a lot. I’ve got a quick question about an internship application.
-You’re already applying for an internship? For the summer? That’s planning ahead. Always thinking quickly, just like me. You remember what I always said about planning ahead?
-Definitely. I just sent in my resume yesterday and I’m wondering when you think I should give them a follow-up call. I was thinking Thursday.
-Thursday is good. I mean, they might get in contact with you before, with…Uh…Hang on a minute...Uh...
-Dad?
-…
-Dad? You still there?
-What? Yeah, wow. Shit. Um, resumes? You should just give them a call on Thursday, I guess. Maybe. It’s all a crapshoot.
-You don’t think Thursday is too soon?
-I have no idea.
-But just a second ago you said that Thursday sounded good.
-I really don’t know. Let me tell you something: Remember that little league team I coached? When I had the hat and the uniform and acted all in charge? I had no clue what I was doing. I just made you guys run around the field ten times every practice because I liked watching that fat kid Ron run.
-Did something happen to you just now?
-What? Nothing happened. I’m just sitting here on the couch looking for something hot on TV.
-Dad, I think I know what’s going on.
-What?
-Rob told me this was going to happen. It just became clear that in addition to being my dad, you are also a regular guy.
-Huh. I guess so. Want to hang out sometime? You should come on one of my business trips. We can stay up late watching HBO.

No comments: