Thursday, February 17, 2011

"Eulogy"

Hi, I’m Matt Burns. Most of you probably don’t know who I am, but I was very close to Joe. For the past three semesters Joe was my partner in Italian class for conversation activities and in that time I got to know him intimately. When we first met, Joe was eager to tell me about his day-to-day activities. Joe liked to go to bed at midnight and wake up at eight o’clock. However, on the weekend Joe liked to sleep in a little and would wake up at ten. Mi alzo alle dieci, he’d always say. Mi alzo alle dieci. Joe liked to run, to watch television, and to play soccer. When he told me his interests I said, "No way! Those happen to be right in this chapter's vocabulary!" and Joe did not seem stunned, as if he knew he was destined for this textbook. That first semester, Joe always seemed to be living in the present, a trait I always envied. In our second semester as partners, Joe began to open up to me and reveal details about his past. He told me he played soccer when he was ten and he watched television before bed. I believe he considered me a close confidant at this stage, as he told me details about his family, such as that he has two brothers and his father is a doctor. In our third semester together, Joe began to prophesize about the future. When I am older, I will be a doctor, he said. This seemed to clash with his music major, but Joe’s interests were constantly changing, like when in chapter nine he suddenly was very interested in cars. Joe also told me that his father was a businessman. When I asked why his father had stopped practicing medicine, Joe looked confused. It seemed that through some stroke of luck Joe’s father changed careers in accordance with our current chapter’s vocabulary. Joe’s life seemed tailor-fit to our textbook, as anytime a question was proposed such as, Do you like musicals? If no, explain, his answer was always yes. I will always remember Joe and be thankful for the access he gave me into his life. I wish he were still alive so we could converse in the conditional tense. Who knows what wonderful things he would have done?

No comments: