Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Purpose: The purpose of this experiment is to observe the reaction between vinegar and baking soda.

Hypothesis: When the vinegar and baking soda mix bubbles will form.

Procedure:

1) Prepare the materials.

2) Measure 10 grams of baking soda and 5 mL of vinegar.

3) Mix the baking soda and vinegar.

4) Record observations of the reaction.

Conclusion: The results did not support my hypothesis. I think I did something wrong, though. I mixed the vinegar and baking soda and everything seemed fine until I felt a pain in my stomach and I looked in the mirror and saw that somehow this experiment turned me into Benito Mussolini. It’s just weird. I mean, when I signed up for the honors chemistry class I expected to do some tough labs, but I wasn’t prepared to be turned into an Italian dictator. Every time I walk down the street people yell at me for World War II and I say, “Hey, I’m just a 15 year old kid,” and they say, “No, you’re Benito Mussolini!” and I look at my reflection and say, “Oh, yeah, I forgot.” It’s easy to forget about my new body. My parents won’t look at me the same way anymore and I don’t fit into my bed. I look ridiculous when I go skateboarding with my friends. This whole thing is just too weird. My recommendation for this experiment if it is performed again is to not perform it at all. Maybe my baking soda was bad, but it’s not worth the risk of becoming a fascist dictator. Maybe I should have measured the vinegar better.