Sunday, June 29, 2008

Man, I am glad I waited. Everyone was pressuring me to break the rules but I stood strong and waited until I was 17 years old to watch an R-rated movie. All my friends were trying to get me to watch one last Saturday, the day before my 17th birthday. They kept insisting it was no big deal and that nothing bad would happen, but I left before I saw even a single frame of it. I watched the movie the next day, once I was 17, and boy oh boy, I can safely say I was not prepared for it the day before. I found the blue language in the film funny that Sunday, but I know that if I had heard those words when I was 16 I would have been emotionally destroyed. I would have been a different person. And the movie included a scene of marijuana use. On Saturday that would have influenced me to immediately try some pot and spiral into a life of methamphetamine addiction, but thanks to that extra day of maturity I was able to realize that it was just a movie. I mean, seriously, back when I was only 16 I couldn’t tell the difference between entertainment and real life, but then I woke up on my 17th birthday and all of a sudden, Wow, I can totally tell the two apart. I'm like, Woah, that's just a screen up there. And when the film showed a brief scene of nudity I managed to restrain myself. Up until that point I had never seen any sort of nudity. I hadn’t even looked at my own penis because I knew it was against the MPAA’s guidelines. If I saw that naked breast at 16 who knows what would have happened; I probably would have ended up stealing lottery tickets for a living, but because I waited until I was 17 to see an R-rated movie I’ll probably get into a good college and maybe even land a nice job. I’m grateful for the ratings system and very happy that I waited. I only wish I had the chance to tell my brother Nick, age 15, to wait. He was recently diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis after viewing Final Destination 2.

2 comments:

GTJackets530 said...

Fun-E

rue said...

matt have you been copying reviews off of www.kids-in-mind.com/ again. >:|