Saturday, May 31, 2008

I read this article in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution the other day and thought it was interesting.



Quitting a comfortable position as the owner of a public relations firm to become a cheesemaker? It seems too risky for anyone to even consider. But Sumter County resident Margaret Raynor has done just that.

Margaret achieved great success with her firm Raynor & Associates but decided to put all of her energy towards another passion of hers: making artesian cheeses. “Since I was successful in my first endeavor, I think I’ve got a good shot at this one,” she says.

She worked for almost two years to achieve state certification to sell her homemade cheeses. She and her husband, Greg, have operated a small goat farm for the past twelve years. She’s only the third licensed artesian cheesemaker in Georgia. “It feels great to finally be able to share my cheese with everyone,” she says.

“She’s worked so hard,” says her husband.

Margaret plans to sell her products at Steve's Farmer’s Market in Tucker each Tuesday. She produces two types of cheeses, feta and chevre, which is similar to mozzarella. Each sells for $5 per half-pound. “I love these cheeses and just hope others will as well,” Margaret says.

Jessica Spreewell of Marietta sampled some of Margaret’s cheese at the market last Tuesday. “It was disgusting,” she said. “Once my cat ate some chocolate and had runny diarrhea and some of it got on my lip and this cheese tastes like that.”

Looks like success in public relations doesn’t translate to success in cheesemaking. Better luck next time, Margaret Raynor.

No comments: